How do I reset the homepage and search engine on Google Chrome?
Set your Google Chrome homepage by following these steps:
1. Click on the Google Chrome menu icon in the upper right-hand corner of your browser window and select "Settings"
2. Locate "Appearance" and make sure "Show Home button" is checked. Click on "Change":
3. This will bring up a new window. Select "Open this page" and input the web address of the website you wish to be your homepage (e.g. http://www.softonic.com). Click “OK”.
To change your search engine in Google Chrome, follow these steps:
1. Go back to the Settings page, scroll down to Search and click on "Manage search engines..."
2. Select the search engine you wish to make your default by hovering your cursor over the name. The “Make default” option will appear to the right of the search engine’s address.
3. You can delete any search engines you do not want to be listed here by clicking the X on the right-hand side.
4. Click "Done" to exit.
Note: If the previous steps do not work, you may need to reset your browser settings. You also may have malicious adware preventing you from resetting your homepage and search engine. To remove, try the following:
1. Download AdwCleaner here.
2. Run the file to open the tool.
3. Click on “Scan” and save the text document that will appear after the search.
4. Close all open applications and click on “Clean”.
5. AdwCleaner will request you to reboot your computer. Please accept the message and restart your computer.